Grand native to discuss first book
March 13, 2013
Native son Mike Childers, returns to Grand County on Thursday March 21st at 6:30pm in the Fraser Valley Library to discuss his book “Colorado Powder Keg: Ski Resorts and the Environment.” Winner of the International Ski History Association’s Ullr Award, Childers’s book explores the relationship between the development of Colorado’s ski industry and the growth of the environmental movement.
Mike who is fifth generation Grand County, who grew up skiing and devouring as many books as he could in the Fraser Valley Library. After graduating from Middle Park High School, he attended Western State College, earned a master’s degree in history from Colorado State University, and worked as a ski tech, instructor and freelance journalist. Mike completed his PhD in American History at the University of Neveda. “Colorado Powder Keg” is his first book.
Taking part in the discussion will be Jerry Groswold whose career in the ski industry included WPRA Board of Trustee 1959-1964, WPRA Chairman of the Board 1969-1975 and WPRA President of the Board 1975-1997 and Doug Laraby who has acted as Planning Director at Winter Park Resort for the last ten years.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Announcements
- How does it work? | Starting an avalanche: CDOT preps Gazex avalanche exploders for coming winter months
- New ski frame allows skiers to wear snowboard boots
- First phase of new Granby park nears finish
- Teen who fell from Hotel Colorado balcony regains consciousness but condition still ‘extremely critical,’ her mom says
- Hot Sulphur Springs residents awake to find brown tap water