Nonprofit of the Week: Grand County Blues Society
June 19, 2014
The Grand County Blues Society was founded in 2002 by a handful of local music lovers. Its mission was and still remains to bring national and international blues talent to Grand County. The Society has produced 200 concerts and this year presents its 12th annual Blues From the Top festival, the second longest running blues festival in Colorado. The Blues Society also provides education about blues music in area schools and created Check Out the Music, which gave residents the ability to check out musical instruments from local libraries. The Society's Blue Star Connection has given musical instruments to musical therapy departments in 34 of the nation's Children's Hospitals, and has given children in 45 states more than 400 personal instruments to help them cope with illnesses through music therapy, which has been proven to be effective. Go to http://www.bluestarconnection.org to help the Society continue to bring music to others.
This feature is made possible through partnership with the Grand Foundation, in support of Grand County nonprofits.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Announcements
- Oct. 16 tax deadline creeping up on extension filers
- Veteran Army combat medic sprung into action when teenage girl fell from fourth-floor hotel balcony in Glenwood Springs
- Colorado doctor: Health effects of living in mountains unknown to medical establishment
- Mustangs complete third straight shutout in win over Rangely
- Cause now known for last week’s Broken Arrow Motel fire