USFS to burn slash piles on Vasquez Ridge
December 4, 2012
U.S. Forest Service crews began burning slash piles on Vasquez Ridge on Tuesday, Dec. 4, two miles west of Winter Park and Fraser in the Vasquez Ridge/Elk Creek region.
The burning is expected to continue Wednesday, Dec. 5, and on Friday, Dec. 7.
The area, which is covered with about 10-12 inches of snow, contains approximately 4,000 piles on 80 acres, remaining from recent mountain pine beetle mitigation projects.
Burning elsewhere around the Sulphur Ranger District will begin as conditions allow. Wind, fuel moisture and snow cover all play a factor in where and whether ignition occurs.
For more information, contact the Sulphur Ranger District office at 970-887-4100.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Announcements
- The fate of skiing: Winter Park Resort bucks trends as industry concerns grow over lack of skiing millennials
- Discovery Channel’s Gold Rush, ‘mining for ratings,’ faces lawsuit from Park County neighbors
- How does it work? | Starting an avalanche: CDOT preps Gazex avalanche exploders for coming winter months
- New ‘destination’ light show planned to brighten downtown Winter Park
- Hot Sulphur Springs man injured after falling wire knocks him into window