Chimney fire in Grand Lake Lodge quickly contained | SkyHiNews.com

Chimney fire in Grand Lake Lodge quickly contained

A chimney fire in the historic Grand Lake Lodge Monday night May 16 ended relatively quickly though local fire authorities acknowledged that without the quick thinking of the Lodge's employees and a quick response time from local fire fighters the incident could have been much worse.

Grand Lake Fire Protection District (GLFPD) Chief Mike Long provided details on the operation. The fire occurred in the chimney of the large circular open fireplace in the Lodge's main entrance. At the time Lodge employees were burning cardboard in the fireplace. The heat from the burning cardboard ignited built up creosote in the chimney, sparking a fire.

"There was enough heat they got the chimney burning," said Long. "It did not spread to any roofing materials."

Lodge employees were able to keep the blaze contained with dry chemical extinguishers until fire fighters arrived and put the conflagration out completely using two-and-a-half gallon water extinguishers.

Grand Lake Fire received the initial call for assistance at 8:18 p.m. Monday night and was able to clear the scene by roughly 9:30 p.m. Long pointed out the Grand Fire Protection District, based in Granby, was called for mutual aid fire but stood down before arriving on scene because the GLFPD was able to quickly bring the blaze under control.

Recommended Stories For You

Go back to article