DA continues investigation into Aspen carbon monoxide deaths
November 30, 2009
ASPEN, Colo. (AP) – The Pitkin County district attorney’s office says a year after a family’s deaths from carbon monoxide poisoning, the case is important despite no action so far by a grand jury.
Chief Deputy District Attorney Arnold Mordkin said last week that a grand jury was convened earlier this year in part to consider the deaths of Parker and Caroline Lofgren of Denver and their two children, ages 8 and 10.
The Lofgrens were found dead the day after last Thanksgiving in an Aspen-area home where they were spending the holiday.
Investigators say a disconnected exhaust pipe leaked the odorless gas into the house. The home didn’t have a carbon monoxide detector even though a county ordinance required one.
A state law approved this year requires most new homes to install detectors.