Granby Fire responds to grass fire in town
July 19, 2010
Grand Fire Protection District No. 1 contained a small grass fire in the area of Second Street and Topaz in Granby on Sunday. A resident was burning trash and yard debris in a 55-gallon burn barrel when sparks ignited nearby sagebrush and grass, according to Grand Fire Chief Dave Boyes.
As many as 19 firefighters with four fire trucks responded to the fire, which grew to a 50-by-100 feet area and became a slight threat to nearby homes.
The fire may have lacked enough heat to engage nearby homes, but the fire did burn a fence and created heavy smoke in the area, according to Boyes.
Neighbors to the property helped in the firefighting effort by bringing shovels and stretching garden hoses to the site, Boyes said.
The small fire was one of a series of emergency calls to which the district has attended this summer.
Call volume at Grand Fire Protection District No. 1 is “running more than it ever has this year,” Boyes said.
Recommended Stories For You