Granby Library announces writing contest
March 24, 2008
To celebrate National Library Week (April 13-19) the Granby Library is conducting a writing contest for fun and prizes.
The library staff presents an open-ended prompt:
“Recall a time when reading made a difference in your life. Often we develop ideas about topics or situations that have not directly touched our lives. Write about a book you read that helped changed your views and why.”
First prize is a Winter Park Resort Season Pass for the 2008- 2009 season.; 2nd prize is a 2008/2009 Nordic Center Season Pass at the Snow Mountain Ranch-YMCA of the Rockies; 3rd prize a foursome at the Headwater Golf Course at the Granby Ranch for 2008; the winner and two runners-up will receive a free subscription to Rough-Writers INK Magazine.
In turn, you’ll submit a (short story or essay) of 700 words or fewer based on the prompt. You can be dramatic, funny, poignant, witty, etc. ” whatever you like.
Winners will be announced on April 21, and the three winning entries will be published in the Ski-Hi Daily News.
Recommended Stories For You
– Essays/stories will be judged on creativity, inventiveness, and ” where appropriate ” humor or dramatic effect.
– One entry per person. Must be Grand County resident ages 17 and up.
– Only e-mail entries are accepted. Please attach a Microsoft Word document, double-spaced. Mac users may paste text directly into an e-mail.
– The Grand County Library District retains first-time rights to run the winner (and finalists) in the Ski-Hi Daily News and/or Web site, after which all rights return to the author.
– A panel of judges will select the top three entries.
– Entries will be read with names omitted to ensure fair judging.
Deadline for the contest is April 12. Each entry should contain:
Your E-mail Address:
Your Daytime Phone Number:
Your Story Entry (700 words or fewer):
E-mail to: email@example.com with “NATIONAL LIBRARY WEEK WRITING CONTEST” in the subject line.
Questions? Please contact Stephanie Ralph at the Granby Library (970) 887-2149 or see our Web site at gcld.org.
The Granby Library wishes to thank our competition sponsors for their generous support:
Winter Park Resort; Snow Mountain Ranch YMCA of the Rockies; Granby Ranch; Rough-Writers INK Magazine.