Grand County libraries benefit from three book sales in July | SkyHiNews.com

Grand County libraries benefit from three book sales in July

KATIE LOOBY
SKY-HI DAILY NEWS

File photoUsed book sales remain popular with library patrons throughout Grand County.

Books never grow unpopular, says MaryAnne Wilcox, executive director of Grand County Library District.

Neither do book sales.

The Friends of the Grand County Libraries will sponsor three used book sales in Grand County this month. The sales offer adults and children books at low prices, as well as books on CD, music CDs and movies on VHS and DVD.

“People just love books,” Wilcox said. “We have people buy them by the boxful.”

The first sale is the Granby Used Book Sale at the Granby Library from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday, July 4. It takes place before, during and after the Granby Fourth of July parade. The “First Picks” presale is from 5-7 p.m. Thursday. Admission is $5, and members of Friends of the Grand County Libraries are admitted free.

On July 4, three local bands will offer live entertainment in the Granby Library courtyard. The bands include: The Runaways, 3rd Time Lucky and the Colorado Highlanders Pipes and Drums.

Recommended Stories For You

Friends of the Grand County Library President Vernie Tupa said the tables are filled with books.

“We just sell lots of books because people are donating books throughout the whole year,” she said.

More adult books are available than children’s books. But the children’s books usually sell first, Tupa said.

“They sell very quickly,” she said, adding that all the books are in excellent condition. “You can hardly tell anyone has opened them.”

Children will also find a corner to look through books, including a set of Harry Potter books. “Those often go early,” she said.

Grand Lake’s Juniper Library Used Book Sale will take place during the Buffalo Barbecue Days; from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, July 19, and from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Sunday July 20.

“It’s always a success and we always make pretty good money,” said Ann Feucht, Friends of Grand County Library board member.

The Fraser Valley Used Book Sale is July 26-27, and instead of taking place at the Winter Park Art Affair, it will move to the Fraser Valley Library from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday and 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sunday. The sale will be in the Fraser Valley Library Urban Community Meeting Room.

A presale will take place from 5 to 7 p.m. Friday, July 25. The presale is free for Friends members and $5 for everyone else. Friends memberships are sold at the door.

“People love it,” said Sue Haith, Friends corresponding secretary. “They love the sale; they wait for it.”

Tupa said the money raised benefits library goers and could help cover the costs of summer reading programs or materials, but will not go toward building funds.

She said people look forward to the sale because they are eager to buy books at a low cost.

“It’s really to benefit the community as well as the library itself,” she said. “(You) can’t buy a book at the store for that price. There’s nothing close to the prices people pay for them normally in the book store.”

“We appreciate so very much the community … who donates all these books to the library and then supports it by coming in and buying them.”

Funds from the book sales will be divided 80 percent for the sponsoring library, and the other 20 percent will be split among the other county libraries.

The Fraser book sale usually raises about $5,000; the Granby sale raises about $2,500; and the sale that has continued in Grand Lake for 18 years usually brings in about $3,500.

Go back to article