Grand Lake Fire Protection District hosts open house, BBQ Oct. 7 | SkyHiNews.com

Grand Lake Fire Protection District hosts open house, BBQ Oct. 7

Once a child touches a hot stove, as the cliche goes, he learns his lesson and stays away from a hot stove. This cliche does not take into account the pain and suffering from burns, which should not be part of the learning process.

That’s why Grand Lake Fire Protection District is teaming up with the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) for Fire Prevention Week – October 4-10 – to urge Grand Lake residents to “Stay Fire Smart! Don’t Get Burned.” This year’s campaign focuses on ways to keep homes fire safe and prevent painful burns.

Additionally, fire safety educators will be teaching residents how to plan and practice escape from a home in case a fire occurs.

Each year about 3,000 people die as a result of home fires and burns, and more than 200,000 individuals are treated in the nation’s emergency rooms for burn injuries.

“The most common types of burn injuries result from fire or flame burns, scalds and contact burns,” said Mindy Everhart, Public Information Officer. “Burns are painful and can result in serious scarring and even death.

“When we take extra caution in our homes to ensure that the curling iron is out of children’s reach or pot handles are turned away from the edge of the stove, such injuries are entirely preventable,” she added. “Keeping our homes safe from fire and preventing devastating burn injuries is a healthy change we can make happen.”

Recommended Stories For You

By following simple safety rules, you can “Stay Fire Smart! Don’t Get Burned.”

∞ Keep hot foods and liquids away from tables and counter edges so they cannot be pulled or knocked over.

∞ Have a 3-foot “kid-free” zone around the stove.

∞ Never hold a child in your arms while preparing hot food or drinking a hot beverage.

∞ Be careful when using things that get hot such as curling irons, oven, irons, lamps, heaters.

∞ Install tamper-resistant receptacles to prevent a child from sticking an object in the outlet.

∞ Never leave a child alone in a room with a lit candle, portable heater, lit fireplace or stove, or where a hot appliance might be in use.

∞ Wear short or close-fitting sleeves when cooking.

∞ Set your hot water temperature no higher than 120 degrees.

∞ Install anti-scald valves on shower heads and faucets.

Go back to article