Montrose man, 86, dies after elderly brother pulls him from burning house
January 11, 2010
MONTROSE, Colo. (AP) – Authorities say an 86-year-old Montrose man has died from burns he suffered in a house fire.
Montrose County Coroner Dr. Thomas Canfield says Richard Swyhart died Monday after he was flown to a Denver hospital.
Authorities say the man was pulled from the home by his brother, whose name wasn’t released.
The brother is also in his 80s and lived in the home. He discovered the fire when he returned home after getting something to eat.
Mike Schell, a Montrose Fire Protection District battalion chief, says Swyhart told him he was smoking while using oxygen.