Power surges lead to West Grand students being evacuated Wednesday | SkyHiNews.com

Power surges lead to West Grand students being evacuated Wednesday

West Grand High School evacuated students and faculty for an hour and a half Wednesday after several power surges caused a heating unit to melt down.

Principal Philip Bonds said the power surges, which began during the lunch period, overwhelmed the building’s new heating system. Bonds pulled the fire alarm after detecting smoke and a burning smell in the east commons. Kremmling Fire Department responded to the alarm.

Maintenance crews discovered that the capacitor in one ceiling heating unit had been fried and the motor of another was on the verge of melting down.

The heating units were shut down until the problem could be remedied.

Staff later discovered more damaged units on the west end of the school. When they returned to classes, students used a classroom where the smell wasn’t as strong, Bonds said.

School was back in session Thursday.

Recommended Stories For You

Go back to article