Granby " Seventh-grade volleyball team overcomes 19-11 deficit to win tournament
April 29, 2008
A club volleyball team whose members are East Grand Middle School seventh-graders pulled off a come-from-behind victory to win the 14’s Division VII Regional Volleyball Tournament at Colorado Springs on Sunday, April 20.
In the crucial championship game, the East Grand team had gotten into trouble, trailing their opponents 19-11. But digging deep, they rallied and went strongly on the attack to eventually win the game 25-19.
“Talk about awesome,” said Nicci Guerrieri, who coaches the team with Janzy Crane. “These seventh grade girls are definitely the description of awesome. To come back from a 19-11 deficit and win the championship game 25-19, shows just how committed these girls are to the game and each other.”
Guerrieri said the win at the regionals is the culmination of the team’s work over the past several months.
“It’s been exciting to see just how much dedication, desire, and discipline these girls have shown the past eight months during club volleyball,” she said. “They’ve developed the skills, but what they demonstrated was more than just skill, it was pure heart and determination to come out on top. Watch out, Middle Park, girls that love the game and love to work hard are coming your way.”
The players on the East Grand club volleyball team are: Hanna Ziegler, Lindsay Lowers, Kelly Allen, Kayleigh Busse, Logan Neiberger, Karly Mulloy Abbey Wise, Kelly Stefanski and Lindsey Findley.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports-Outdoors
- Musings on avalanches, prevention and the unforgiving wild (column)
- Mustangs complete third straight shutout in win over Rangely
- BREAKING: Silverthorne man reported missing from Missouri Mountain
- Cirque Sled offers faster easier access to Winter Park’s side-country
- Granby’s men’s indoor soccer league forming
- How does it work? | Starting an avalanche: CDOT preps Gazex avalanche exploders for coming winter months
- New ski frame allows skiers to wear snowboard boots
- First phase of new Granby park nears finish
- Teen who fell from Hotel Colorado balcony regains consciousness but condition still ‘extremely critical,’ her mom says
- Hot Sulphur Springs residents awake to find brown tap water