Grand Nordic Corner: Learn, do something new in the family of Nordic skiing
January 16, 2014
With the incredible snow that is actually normal for Grand County, it is time to be outdoors and fall in love all over again with this wonderful place in which we live.
Get ready for the Stagecoach Classic Trek (details on page 8) offered from Devil's Thumb Ranch through the old Idlewild Ski Area to Hideaway Park in Winter Park on Jan. 25.
Feb 8, Grand Nordic presents the Ranch2Ranch Cross-Country Ski Trek connecting Ski Granby Ranch, across the new Connector Trail to the Fraser-to-Granby, through 10 Mile Creek to Tim's Tunnel and ending at the YMCA Nordic Center. It's a fun trek that benefits Grand Nordic ski programs for kids. This trail is open year-round and will give you a chance to explore more beautiful scenery in your own backyard. Call 970-887-0547 or register online at grandnordic.org.
The Snow Mountain Ranch offers a Denver University Guest Ski clinic this Saturday, Jan. 18, in either classic or skate from 10 a.m. – noon for a well-spent $30 per-person. Call 888-573-9622 to sign up. On Feb 9, Tim Carter offers a Waxable Ski Clinic sponsored by Start Wax from 9 a.m.-noon; a basic waxing clinic is offered most Saturday mornings from 9:30-10:30 a.m. at Snow Mountain Ranch, 970-887- 2152 ext. 4173; and Devil's Thumb Ranch is also offering a hands-on waxing clinic from 3-4 p.m. on Saturday, Jan. 18, in the Idlewild Room. It is time to get those skis ready for the great snow of the winter season if you haven't already.
Both Devil's Thumb and Snow Mountain ranches offer snowshoe trails that meander just for snowshoers. Rentals are available. Some trails accommodate your dog as well. Or learn to ski with your dog by attending one of the skijoring clinics offered twice a month at Devil's Thumb. The next clinics are at 10 a.m. on Jan. 19 and Feb. 2. Cost is $30 with your own leash, harness or do the $45 package that includes clinic, harnes
The Colorado Biathlon Club calls the YMCA home and events start this weekend with a Safety Certification Clinic on Saturday followed by mass start events on Jan. 26. The State championships are Feb. 15 and 16, with the last individual start event on March 8. Visit coloradobiathlon.org. If you want to try this unique sport which combines cross country skiing with rifle marksmanship, Snow Mountain Ranch is offering Biathlon Experience Courses on Jan. 17, Jan. 19, Feb. 22, Feb. 23 and March 15.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports-Outdoors
- Musings on avalanches, prevention and the unforgiving wild (column)
- Mustangs complete third straight shutout in win over Rangely
- BREAKING: Silverthorne man reported missing from Missouri Mountain
- Cirque Sled offers faster easier access to Winter Park’s side-country
- Granby’s men’s indoor soccer league forming
- How does it work? | Starting an avalanche: CDOT preps Gazex avalanche exploders for coming winter months
- New ski frame allows skiers to wear snowboard boots
- First phase of new Granby park nears finish
- Teen who fell from Hotel Colorado balcony regains consciousness but condition still ‘extremely critical,’ her mom says
- Will DeLay: Burgeoning football star, MPHS Homecoming King