‘Grand Swing’ tournament benefit’s Grand County’s Heart of the Mountains Hospice | SkyHiNews.com

‘Grand Swing’ tournament benefit’s Grand County’s Heart of the Mountains Hospice

Lynda Parker, Joan Gaskins, and Carol KellyGranby, Colorado

Byron Hetzler file photo

Grand Elk will host the first benefit golf tournament of the season in Grand County at 10 a.m. Monday, May 18, to raise money for Heart of the Mountains Hospice.Seven years ago, when Grand Elk was starting up, a golf tournament was suggested as a means of raising money and community support for Hospice. With the able assistance of Rollie Cahalane, the tournament has become an annual event. Between 80 and 140 people have gathered for this occasion, and last year the event raised more than $10,000 for Hospice. Hospice has cared for more than 230 people in Grand County since it began offering services in 2001. Hospice is a special kind of care for the dying that emphasizes living life to the fullest, a peaceful death, and support for the whole family. The Hospice team includes physicians, RNs, psychologists, spiritual counselors, and volunteers. Many surviving family members say, “I do not know what I would have done without Hospice.”Medicare and Medicaid revenues cover about 60 percent of Hospice operating costs. The other 40 percent is paid for through grants, donations and fundraising activities. Qualifying for grants often depends on demonstrating community support through events such as the golf tournament.A Golf Committee including locals Lynda Parker, Jennifer Neumann, Ibbie Stroh, Deb Knutson, Amber Tetlow, and Joan Gaskins, are working hard to organize this year’s event. They seek business sponsors, solicit donations for a silent auction, and organize the aprs-tee awards party.Rick Peth, whose family founded Fowler & Peth, a leading distributor of building materials across the Rocky Mountains, is the major sponsor of this year’s “Grand Swing” golf tournament. Individuals and groups are encouraged to come out and enjoy some spirited competition, above and below par, for a good cause.Rumor has it the “Devout Duffers” and “Holy Rollers” may be back for another round of friendly competition between churches.The cost is $100 for individuals and $500 to be a sponsor, which includes a round of golf for four people, personalized signs on the tee and green, your name in the brochure, and unending gratitude. Registration forms are available at grandcountyhospice.org or contact Lynda Parker at 887-2520 for more information.Come join the excitement at Grand Elk on Monday, May 18, at 10 a.m. and support our local Heart of the Mountains Hospice.

Go back to article