Jackie Wright: Unleash the champion within you
April 1, 2011
We cannot all be elite athletes and champions, at least not in the traditional sense of competing at elite levels and winning medals. However, my belief is that there is a champion within each and every one of us and we can train like one at our own specific physical level.
Regardless of what limitations you may have, there is a champion in there somewhere and it is simply a matter of finding that inner champion and unleashing him or her. You can shatter your limitations, raise the bar on your performance and seek out and attain peak performance for each level of physical capability, you just have to know how to begin.
Therefore, this week we will highlight a few strategies to utilize as you make your way down the champion fitness trail. As always, prior to beginning any exercise program, please consult your physician.
• Start it out the way you want to end it up – set specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and timely goals. Yes, I know I have said it before, in fact quite a few times in this column, but that is because it is tried and true and it WORKS! Oh, and make certain those goals are written down.
• Commitment/Adherence – you have to make the commitment and that comes when you set your goals. Training needs to be a major priority in your daily life or life will happen and throw you off the training track. You have set the plan, now work it.
Recommended Stories For You
• Training Consistency – this is an absolute key to the training regimen of any champion and that includes you. Over time, it is the consistency that pays off big dividends.
• Psychology trumps physiology – the mind and body connection is huge when focusing upon positive results and outcomes. We call it the “head edge” and that is because those champion athletes that visualize themselves winning, have a far better chance of winning than those that do not apply the head edge strategy.
• Laser Focus – avoid distractions when training; put blinders on like a race horse and concentrate on the road in front of you. Keep your head and heart in the game. Do not focus upon obstacles. Believe in yourself because it is all about YOU at the finish line.
• Training Variety – is truly the spice of unleashing that champion within you. Keep training varied, safe, effective and fun. Variety includes changing up the equipment you use, the format, frequency, intensity, type and time of the exercise program, the training focus and the terrain. The same old routine yields the same old results. I don’t know who made this statement, but it applies when we discuss variety: “There is no comfort in growth and no growth in comfort”.
• Hire a qualified, certified, and experienced trainer or coach – and while it is important to always listen to your body, also listen to your trainer or coach. There is no magic to training success. Those clients that listen well and adhere to the programs designed by great trainers/coaches tend to achieve outstanding results.
– Jackie Wright is the owner/manager of Never Summer Fitness, LLC located in Grand Lake, Colorado. She can be reached at her website at http://www.neversummerfitness.com, her email at NSFGL@comcast.net, her blog at http://www.skyhidailynews.com and her Facebook at Never Summer Fitness.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports-Outdoors
- Early morning high speed pursuit ends with wreck and arrest
- Grand County police blotter, Sept. 14- Sept. 18: Car-size puddle of fuel; Picking up dandelions
- Controversial speaker during Constitution Week talks Islam, Sharia Law
- Massive trail revamping begins in Fraser Valley: Project working on 38 trail developments
- Family of 4 and dog dies in plane crash north of Glenwood Springs