Kremmling: 37-inch rainbow takes top honors at Wolford Mountain Ice Fishing Contest
February 19, 2008
No one caught the tagged fish and won the $11,000 grand prize during the 11th Annual Wolford Mountain Ice Fishing Contest, but several anglers won thousands of dollars in other cash and prizes during the one-day competition last Saturday, Feb. 16.
More than 600 ice fishermen and women of all ages tried their luck during this year’s contest held once again on the frozen surface of the Wolford Mountain Reservoir, located six miles north of Kremmling on U.S. Highway 40.
Topping the list of prizes during the 2008 Wolford Mountain Reservoir Ice Fishing Contest was $11,000 for the contestant who lands a specially tagged fish. But by the end of the contest Saturday, no one had snagged the fish.
However, 10 lucky fishermen did walk away with part of the $5,000 cash purse in the contest’s Big Fish competition. Determined by the combined length and girth of the fish they caught, this year’s winners as well as their portion of the cash purse are:
1. Rich Robbins of Denver, 37 inches, Rainbow ” $1,300;
2. Wes Bishop of Kremmling, 33-1/4 inches, Rainbow ” $875;
Recommended Stories For You
3. Mike Bywater of Denver, 33-1/8″ inches, Cut Bow ” $750;
4. Mike Waida of Strasburg, 32-1/2 inches, Cut Bow ” $625;
5. Melvin Mann, 31-1/2 inches, Rainbow ” $500;
6 Sharon Brugemann of Silt, 30-3/8″ inches, Rainbow ” $350;
7. Allen Schultz of Loveland, 28-3⁄4 inches, Splake ” $250;
8. Stephen Moreiko of Aurora, 28-1/2 inches, Rainbow ” $175;
9. Justin White of Granby, 28-1/4 inches, Rainbow ” $100;
10. Tom Brugemann of Silt, 28-1/4 inches, Cut Bow ” $75.
In addition to the main competition, kids ages 15 and under also competed in the ice fishing contest’s Youth Division. They were competing for tackle boxes donated by Dan and Deb Murphy of the Fishin’ Hole in Kremmling.
The top-10 winners of the Youth Division on Saturday are:
1. Jake Fitzgerald of Roggen, 25-3/4 inches, Rainbow;
2. Colin Jennings of Granby, 25 inches, Rainbow;
3. Drake Doherty of Maybell, 24 inches, Rainbow;
4. Calvin Sanchez of Kremmling, 23-7/8 inches, Rainbow;
5. Nick McDonnell of Dillon, 23-1/4 inches, Rainbow;
6. Bryce Weimer of Hot Sulphur Springs, 23 inches, Cut Bow;
7. Nathan Schirer of Silt, 22-1/2 inches, Rainbow;
8 Garrett Miller of Kremmling, 22-1/4 inches, Rainbow;
9. Ethan Cunningham of Kremmling, 22-1/4 inches, Rainbow;
10. Collin Popuga of Evergreen, 22 inches, Rainbow;
For more information about the event, call the Kremmling Area Chamber of Commerce at (970) 724-3472 or view the Web site at http://www.kremmlingchamber.com/events.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports-Outdoors
- Musings on avalanches, prevention and the unforgiving wild (column)
- Mustangs complete third straight shutout in win over Rangely
- BREAKING: Silverthorne man reported missing from Missouri Mountain
- Cirque Sled offers faster easier access to Winter Park’s side-country
- Granby’s men’s indoor soccer league forming
- How does it work? | Starting an avalanche: CDOT preps Gazex avalanche exploders for coming winter months
- New ski frame allows skiers to wear snowboard boots
- First phase of new Granby park nears finish
- Teen who fell from Hotel Colorado balcony regains consciousness but condition still ‘extremely critical,’ her mom says
- Will DeLay: Burgeoning football star, MPHS Homecoming King