Middle Park ski team hits rough sledding during state championships at Steamboat Springs
February 25, 2008
Middle Park High’s skiers ended up a ways down in the results for the first day of competition during the 2008 Colorado High School Skiing Championships last week in Steamboat Springs.
The state meet was held Thursday and Friday, Feb. 21-22. Skiers in both alpine and Nordic disciplines competed.
In the cross-country competition at Steamboat’s Howelson Hill on Thursday, Vail and Summit athletes took the top spots in both the girls and boys 5-kilometer skating race.
Summit’s Briana Perkins raced to victory in the girls 5K with a time of 15:15. Second place was taken by Karlie Moore of Vail Mountain in 15:22. Third place went to Jess Linder of Vail Christian with 15:46.
Middle Park’s results for the girls 5K skate are: 19. Makenna Morck, 18:11; 22. Ryndi Zastrow, 18:21; 31. Mackenzie Wilderman, 18:57; and 34. Samantha Miyauchi, 19:18.
In the boys 5K skate Thursday, Vail Mountain’s Tony Ryerson skied to the first-place win with a time of 13:19. The runner-up spot was taken by his teammate Chris Woods with 13:40. Third place went to Tyler Reinking of Summit with 13:42.
Recommended Stories For You
Middle Park’s results in the boys 5K skate were: 14. Eric Shurson, 15:06; 17. Hugh McDonough, 15:14; 24. Matthew Naschak, 15:43; 28. Ben Shipman, 16:12; and 37. Matt Curran, 16:57.
In the alpine ski competition, also held Thursday at Howelson Hill, Battle Mountain and Summit skiers topped the individual results in the girls slalom. Jenny Banner and Kelly VanHee, both of Battle Mountain, finished first and second with combined times after two runs of 1:24.1 and 1:26.6 respectively. Third place was earned by Summit’s Erin Breslin with 1:28.6.
Middle Park’s Kylie Kroneberger placed 37th in the girls slalom with a time of 1:53.0. The Panthers’ other skier, Brenna Dee, fell on the course and did not finish.
In the boys slalom Thursday, Summit’s Zach Fretz won with a combined time after two runs of 1:17.7. He was followed by Jason Gawf of Nederland who finished second with 1:19.3. Third place went to Kris Allen of Steamboat Springs with 1:20.0.
Middle Park had one skier in the boys slalom. Matt Hydrusko finished 41st with a time of 1:40.2.
The results for Friday’s competition at the 2008 Colorado High School Skiing Championships were not available by press time. They will appear in a future edition of the Sky-Hi Daily News.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports-Outdoors
- Mustangs complete third straight shutout in win over Rangely
- Musings on avalanches, prevention and the unforgiving wild (column)
- BREAKING: Silverthorne man reported missing from Missouri Mountain
- Cirque Sled offers faster easier access to Winter Park’s side-country
- Sanders: Winter Park trails for fat biking, winter riding tips
- Oct. 16 tax deadline creeping up on extension filers
- Veteran Army combat medic sprung into action when teenage girl fell from fourth-floor hotel balcony in Glenwood Springs
- Looking for a shoulder-season escape? Here are 5 small-town getaways in northern Colorado
- New ski frame allows skiers to wear snowboard boots
- How does it work? | Starting an avalanche: CDOT preps Gazex avalanche exploders for coming winter months (with video)