MPHS girls cross country team takes fifth on home course
September 22, 2008
Racing up and down the hills of her home course, Middle Park High’s Samantha Berggren sped to victory during the Snow Mountain Invitational cross country event held Saturday at the YMCA of the Rockies near Granby.
Berggren, a sophomore, outpaced the 99 other girls in the five-kilometer race to cross the finish line in first place with a time of 21:22.
This was exactly a minute faster then her closest rival, Summit County’s Cali Greska who finished second in 22:22. Third place went to Hilary Hasse with 22:49.
Saturday’s win was Berggren’s fourth consecutive victory of the 2008 cross country season. It was also the second year that she has won the Snow Mountain Invitational.
Berggren’s teammates also ran well on the trails at YMCA’s Snow Mountain Ranch. Samantha Miyauchi raced the girls 5K course in a time of 25:27 for 18th place, followed by Jessica Bondi who took 26th place in 26:27.
Crossing the finish next was the Panthers’ Kelly Little who took 29th place in 26:35 with teammate Melissa Plum right on her heels for 30th place in 26:38. Hannah Garcia followed to finish with a time of 26:58 for 35th place.
Recommended Stories For You
Taking 41st place on the demanding Snow Mountain Ranch course was Middle Park’s Lindsay Jones who ran a 5K time of 27:21. Sarah Williams rounded out the team’s results by placing 83rd with a time of 32:24.
Although 11 different high schools were represented in Saturday’s race, only eight teams earned team scores.
The winner of the girls 5K was Summit County with 17 points, followed by Aspen for second with 60 and Holy Family for third with 62. Middle Park’s girls placed fifth with 74 points, just behind Battle Mountain with 71.
In the boys five-kilometer race at the Snow Mountain Invitational, Ridgeview Academy won the team competition with 32 points against nine other teams.
Denver North was the runner-up with 40 points, followed by third-place Summit County with 56. Middle Park’s boys finished in eighth place with a score of 177.
In the individual results, Joseph Manilfasha of Denver North ran away with the victory by covering the 5K course in a time of 16:47, almost two minutes faster then the second-place finisher from Ridgeview Academy.
Middle Park’s top runner Saturday was Nathanial Ziegler. He ran the course in a time of 20:54 for 23rd place.
The results for the rest of the Panther boys are: 47. Matt Curran, 22:32; 48. Matt Naschak, 22:34; 59. Hugh McDonough, 23:27; and 76. Nick O’Conner, 24:36.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports-Outdoors
- Musings on avalanches, prevention and the unforgiving wild (column)
- Mustangs complete third straight shutout in win over Rangely
- BREAKING: Silverthorne man reported missing from Missouri Mountain
- Cirque Sled offers faster easier access to Winter Park’s side-country
- Granby’s men’s indoor soccer league forming
- How does it work? | Starting an avalanche: CDOT preps Gazex avalanche exploders for coming winter months
- New ski frame allows skiers to wear snowboard boots
- First phase of new Granby park nears finish
- Teen who fell from Hotel Colorado balcony regains consciousness but condition still ‘extremely critical,’ her mom says
- Will DeLay: Burgeoning football star, MPHS Homecoming King