Winter Park opens Zephyr, Mary Jane, Vasquez Ridge
December 13, 2016
The ropes are dropping at Winter Park Resort. The ski area greatly expanded its open acreage in the past week with the addition of the Mary Jane area, the Vasquez Ridge territory, and the Zephyr lift. After 38 inches in seven days, many skiers and riders traveled to Grand County to take advantage of the fresh snow.
The Zephyr opened on Saturday, Dec. 8. Mary Jane's opening was announced on Dec. 9, two days before it was set to open. Crowds gathered early Sunday morning for the annually long-awaited opening of one of Winter Park's most beloved areas. If you were there early enough, there was a plethora of powder stashes on the Jane side, which opened with eight and a half inches of fresh snow. The Jane saw a lot of traffic, but lines moved quickly all day and crowds mostly dispersed by lunchtime.
Winter Park now has 543 acres of skiable terrain open via 18 lifts and 75 trails. The resort has seen 88 inches of snowfall thus far with a 41-inch base.
The Vasquez Ridge territory opened on Monday, Dec. 12, and the resort says to expect more open terrain soon. Between Sunday and Monday 309 acres opened, sending Winter Park into prime ski season within four days.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports-Outdoors
- Brian Ward, who died in Highway 9 crash, was commercial pilot, devoted husband
- Missing Aspen couple found dead below Capitol Peak summit
- Long-time Sky-Hi News columnist passes away at 71
- Grand County police blotter: Bear ‘wreaks havoc’ in Fraser; suspicious yellow bag at church
- BREAKING: Authorities find body of woman in Rocky Mountain National Park