Winter Park’s newest mountain bike courses await Mountain Circuit racers
August 15, 2008
Exciting new courses will be challenging the hundreds of riders expected to compete in Saturday’s mountain bike race at Winter Park Resort.
The Mountain Circuit is the sixth race of the seven-part 2008 Winter Park Mountain Biking Series. The first riders will leave the starting gate atop Winter Park Mountain at 10 a.m. The finish line is at the Mary Jane ski area.
The Mountain Circuit racers will be riding three different courses depending upon their ability classes. The Pro and Expert classes will be covering 17.7 miles while those in the Sport class will ride 13.6 miles. The Beginner class will be on the 9.5-mile course.
Organizers are describing the race as “a mountain top circuit featuring the longest sustained descent in the series, great technical riding through Jackalope, and some of the freshest single track in the Winter Park/Fraser Valley over the Roof of the Rockies trail.”
On race day, the racers will ride the Zephyr chair lift with their bikes to get to the start. The start has been moved to the mountain road at the top of the Olympia lift. The starting gate will be across from the Mary Jane sign.
Participants should also note that the Mary Jane base area will play host to all event functions including registration, refreshments, and awards. No functions (other than loading the Zephyr) will take place at the base of Winter Park Resort due to the “103.5 The Fox Hawgfest,” which also takes place Saturday. Race organizers are recommending that racers park their cars at Mary Jane.
Recommended Stories For You
Mountain bikers can pre-ride the course by either purchasing a bike transport ticket to ride the chairlift, or ride up the mountain road on Winter Park Mountain to access the start.
Awards are given to the top three in each age and ability class in Saturday’s race. All racers are also eligible for a portion of the $2,000 in raffle prizes given away after each race in the series.
Pre-registration for the series races is strongly recommended. The easiest and cheapest way to register for the 2008 Winter Park Mountain Bike Race Series is online. Go to epicsingletrack.com.
For more information on this year’s race series, visit epicsingletrack.com or call the Winter Park Competition Center at (970) 726-1590 or (303) 316-1590.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports-Outdoors
- Musings on avalanches, prevention and the unforgiving wild (column)
- Mustangs complete third straight shutout in win over Rangely
- BREAKING: Silverthorne man reported missing from Missouri Mountain
- Cirque Sled offers faster easier access to Winter Park’s side-country
- Sanders: Winter Park trails for fat biking, winter riding tips
- Oct. 16 tax deadline creeping up on extension filers
- How does it work? | Starting an avalanche: CDOT preps Gazex avalanche exploders for coming winter months
- Veteran Army combat medic sprung into action when teenage girl fell from fourth-floor hotel balcony in Glenwood Springs
- New ski frame allows skiers to wear snowboard boots
- Looking for a shoulder-season escape? Here are 5 small-town getaways in northern Colorado