WPCC Nordic competes in Aspen
January 31, 2017
The Winter Park Competition Center Nordic Team skied the challenging courses of Aspen last weekend for the second qualifying Rocky Mountain Nordic race.
Saturday featured Classic style sprints starting with a qualifying 1.5K followed by 1.5K elimination heats. Seven out of 10 WPCC racers qualified for the heats. Sebastian Brower in 15th and Sierra Smith in 20th led the local pack in finishes.
Sunday was a 10K skate for women and a 15K skate for men, with shorter distances for younger ones. Top finishers for Winter Park were Sierra Smith in 17th with a time of 43:27 and Tyler Scholl in 8th with a time of 47:05. Theo Loo, Wil Cleveland, Christoff Zimmerman, and Adrian Brower in boys and Emily Jensen, Sydney Sultemeier, Sylvia Brower, and Amelia Carson in girls rounded out the results for the proud coaches and parents.
The team is off to Steamboat Springs next for more racing.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports-Outdoors
- Musings on avalanches, prevention and the unforgiving wild (column)
- Mustangs complete third straight shutout in win over Rangely
- BREAKING: Silverthorne man reported missing from Missouri Mountain
- Cirque Sled offers faster easier access to Winter Park’s side-country
- Granby’s men’s indoor soccer league forming
- How does it work? | Starting an avalanche: CDOT preps Gazex avalanche exploders for coming winter months
- New ski frame allows skiers to wear snowboard boots
- First phase of new Granby park nears finish
- Teen who fell from Hotel Colorado balcony regains consciousness but condition still ‘extremely critical,’ her mom says
- Hot Sulphur Springs residents awake to find brown tap water