Town dedicates parcel as open space
October 15, 2010
GRAND LAKE – A sliver of land in Grand Lake has recently been crowned “open space” by town trustees.
Once considered a town right of way that led from Cairns Avenue to the Grand Lake shore, the 50 by 200 parcel near the Living Word Christian Fellowship church was platted and recorded in 1905 by James Cairns. The original intent of the road was to provide access to the lake for firefighters.
A vote to make the access into a designated “open space” area took place on Monday, Oct. 4, at which time town trustees agreed the park area should be “day use only.”
Richard McQueary, a neighbor to the town property, volunteered to build buck-and-rail panels that could be opened for day use and closed at dusk. McQueary further volunteered to manage the panels daily.
Referred to as McLaren Street on platted maps, the right of way has long been a little-known access for fishing, non-motorized boat launching, lake gazing, fire truck access and snowmobiling access to the lake. Even with the designation as open space, town officials promised that each of these uses will be allowed to continue during day hours, dawn until dusk.
Meanwhile, town officials are still deciding on a new name for the area.
Recommended Stories For You
At the top of the list of considerations is “James Cairns Access,” named after the man who originally platted and recorded that area of the town and who is the grandfather to Jane Patience Kemp, who with husband McQueary lives next door to the parcel.