Winter Park Resort snowboarder dies from ‘blunt force injury’
January 7, 2014
WINTER PARK —Sean Teater, 19, of Fort Collins, died Dec. 21 from injuries related to an accident that took place while he was snowboarding at Winter Park Resort on Dec. 19.
Teater was reportedly found unconscious and unresponsive on Butch's Breezeway, a blue run located off of the Prospector Express lift at Winter Park Resort.
He was transported to the Denver Health East grand Medical Clinic, located at the base of the ski area, by Winter Park Resort Ski Patrol and was subsequently airlifted to Denver Health.
An autopsy completed by the Grand County Coroner's Office revealed blunt force injury to the head as the cause of death.
An investigation completed by the Fraser Winter Park Police found that Teater was a fairly new snowboarder and had been snowboarding without a helmet earlier in the day and had fallen several times.
He chose to wear a helmet after lunch and had become separated from his friends at the time of the accident, according to a Jan. 2 press release from the Fraser Winter Park Police.
Recommended Stories For You
Teater was skiing with friends on the day of the accident, according to Steve Hurlbert, public relations and communication manager for Winter Park Resort.
"Winter Park Resort extends its deepest condolences to the family and friends affected by this tragedy," Hurlbert said
The Fraser Winter Park police have not been able to identify any witnesses who saw the accident, but several other skiers and Winter Park Ski Patrol provided aid on the mountain after the accident had occurred.
The investigation is ongoing at this time and investigators are waiting on the results of a toxicology report to determine whether drugs or alcohol were contributing factors to the accident, according to the press release.
This is the first death at Winter Park Resort since an inbound avalanche killed a skier on the Mary Jane side of the resort in January 2012.
Reid Tulley can be reached at 970-887-3334
Editors note: A previous version of this story falsely stated Teater was a student at Colorado State University; he was not a student at the school at the time of the accident.