Fitness Trail: 10 strategies to get in shape for 2021
The Fitness Trail
Since we are just around the corner from the New Year, which we are all eagerly waiting for this year, it is time to sit down and plan your get fit strategies for 2021.
These are not resolutions because we know that, in general, resolutions do not work for the long haul. Strategies are plans that take into consideration our lifestyles, stressors (particularly in 2020), family, friends and how we would like to feel for the rest of our lives.
Then application is how we make those strategies work. So, prepare to record each of these 10 strategies and tailor them to your life. As always, prior to beginning any exercise program, please consult your physician.
1. Set goals. This is a given if you intend to succeed at anything valuable in life, and fitness is certainly one of those things. The more specific, measureable, attainable, realistic and timely you can be when writing down your goals, the more likely you will succeed.
2. Keep an exercise and food journal. Why do we keep concentrating on goal setting and journaling? It’s because they work. Make it easy to record and put it down in a format that works for you.
3. Supplemental plans. Always have several supplemental fitness plans addressing all situations in your life. (Wow, did we ever need this strategy this year.) You should come up with everything from 15-minute workouts to 60-minute plans, travel plans and sport-specific plans, so you are prepared for whatever life throws at you.
4. Hire the best trainers in the business to train you. This means they have the credentials, including a university degree in a health and fitness related discipline, years of full-time training experience and certifications in all relevant fields applicable to your needs. Choose a trainer that will be a good fit for your personality, loyalty and focus.
5. Perform some bona fide investigating the best group fitness programs for you and your fitness goals. These group programs are limited right now, but it’s good to prepare for the future.
6. Incorporate high intensity interval training (i.e. H.I.I.T.) into your program two-three days a week. Better yet, have your trainer develop the HIIT programs, as well as your supplemental plans.
7. Home fitness. Those fortunate enough to workout at their fitness facilities during 2020 still needed to create their own supplemental in-home program. This is a full-blown, comprehensive program for your home, which addresses your spacial and equipment needs. You can have your trainer design these for you, and virtual training is excellent, too.
8. Move every day no matter what. Unless you are seriously ill or injured, you need to move daily. And this means in addition to your daily round.
9. Remember the 90/10 Rule. This rule states that your weight management is 90 percent about what and how much you put in your mouth and 10 percent about your regularly performed exercise program. Understand that does not mean that exercise is less important because it remains a critical component of weight management. However, most of us cannot exercise enough to undo a bad dietary regimen.
10. Give one percent more. There is almost always a little piece of energy that you have not utilized in your workout. This coming year give that one percent more. It has a systemic effect on your entire life and the success and happiness that is possible.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
The Sky-Hi News strives to deliver powerful stories that spark emotion and focus on the place we live.
Over the past year, contributions from readers like you helped to fund some of our most important reporting, including coverage of the East Troublesome Fire.
If you value local journalism, consider making a contribution to our newsroom in support of the work we do.