1st Judicial District reviews CBI shooting investigation | SkyHiNews.com

1st Judicial District reviews CBI shooting investigation

Reid Tulley

HOT SULPHUR SPRINGS — The investigation concerning the fatal shooting of Joshua Stevens, 31, of Coral, MI, that took place in Hot Sulphur Springs on April 2, has been presented to the district attorney of the 1st Judicial District, as was requested by 14th Judicial District Attorney Brett Barkey.

First Judicial District Attorney Pete Weir announced Monday he has assumed responsibility of reviewing the investigation of the fatal shooting, an incident involving John Stein, a Lieutenant of the Grand County Sheriff’s Department, and Heather Stein, a Chief Deputy District Attorney for the 14th Judicial District.

The Colorado Bureau of Investigation has been conducting the investigation and has presented its findings thus far to the district attorney of the 1st Judicial District, which includes Jefferson County.

CBI’s investigation of the incident is currently still ongoing as they are awaiting additional information in relation to the case. The additional information will be released to the district attorney as soon as possible, according to a press release from the office of the district attorney for the 14th Judicial District.

Once the district attorney’s review and analysis of the case is complete, there will be a public dissemination of the conclusion, the press release states.

Sky-Hi News staff attempts to obtain official information concerning the case have been unsuccessful due to the ongoing nature of the investigation. No arrests have been made in relation to the case; requests to obtain 911 dispatch tapes from the night of the shooting have so-far been denied.

Shortly before midnight on April 1, Heather Stein placed a 911 call to the Grand County Sheriff’s Office reporting a stranger at her front door who was “behaving erratically and causing a disturbance,” according to a April 29 press release from the Colorado Bureau of Investigation. The press release said the investigation revealed the intruder pushed his way into the house and an altercation ensued.

It was reported shots were fired during the altercation outside of the Stein’s residence in the 500 block of Grand Avenue. The Grand County Coroner later confirmed Stevens was shot four times in the torso and subsequently died. His body remained outside and in front of the Steins’ home on the morning CBI began its investigation.

Both John and Heather Stein were placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation.

Reid Tulley can be reached at 970-887-3334

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

The Sky-Hi News strives to deliver powerful stories that spark emotion and focus on the place we live.

Over the past year, contributions from readers like you helped to fund some of our most important reporting, including coverage of the East Troublesome Fire.

If you value local journalism, consider making a contribution to our newsroom in support of the work we do.