A thank-you: Hot Sulphur firefighters help in time of emergency | SkyHiNews.com

A thank-you: Hot Sulphur firefighters help in time of emergency

A thank-you: Hot Sulphur firefighters help in time of emergency

I was going to time the fire department’s response when we called 911 on Jan. 13, 2018, but once the flames started coming out of the siding of our house I lost track of my thoughts. We had evacuated our home due to a fire from our wood stove that spread into the walls of our 1904 cabin in Hot Sulphur Springs. Your timely response to our emergency could not have been any quicker.

We apologize for the delay of getting this thank you out, but in these circumstances your life sort of turns upside down. We want to send out a heart-felt thank you to all the fire departments, fire fighters, sheriff’s office deputies, EMS and friends and neighbors showing support in our time of need. All your help and offers of help have been greatly appreciated, and hopefully you all know who you are. It really meant a lot to us that a fire fighter recognized my wife’s phone on the floor would be ruined if it stayed there and it was put on a shelf. Someone else took the time to take our saddle, a family heirloom which was a wedding gift from my mother to my father, out of the house so it was safe. These actions are not something that would be expected of a person risking their life to stop a fire.

Watching the fire fighters work was an insightful experience. We watched teamwork and professionalism from an entirely volunteer organization. One thing that is etched in my memory is an image of flames and smoke billowing out of an upstairs window, so thick it was nearly impossible to see, and inside was a light from a fire fighter’s helmet. He or she was upstairs risking their life to stop the fire. Observing all the teamwork and coordination you get an appreciation for all the different parts and pieces needed to run things smoothly. Each person had his or her job and was also a part of a larger team.

In the aftermath of the fire, I was speaking to a fire fighter. I told him that people never think about or appreciate a fire department until something like this happens. He just smiled and said, “Well, come to Turkey Bingo.” We will!! Thank you again for all of your hard work and effort. It is greatly appreciated.

Lynn and Stephanie Bourquin, Hot Sulphur Springs

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Grand County make the Sky-Hi News' work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.

For tax deductible donations, click here.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User