Barnelopet event set for Saturday, Feb. 23
February 20, 2013
Our annual Sons of Norway Cross Country ski race for youth (Barnelopet in Norwegian) is really an event for the entire family. Youth for ages 0 to 16 are invited to enter this noncompetitive, free ski event at the Snow Mountain Ranch YMCA. Every finisher is a winner but the children being carried in backpacks or in cross country sleds get the beautiful gold medal – not the parents. Parents, Grandparents and Spectators line up at the finish line to cheer the skiers home with cowbells and flags. Participants in the cross country event can choose a 1.0 Km, 2.5 Km or 5.0 Km course.
In addition, the Rocky Mountain Orienteering Club is joining us in hosting a scavenger hunt using maps where adults can join their children in a family event on skis. Several lengths of courses will be available for this family fun.
Of course, no Norwegian sponsored event is complete without food. After the races and scavenger hunt, Sons of Norway lodges will serve cookies, fruit, juice and hot chocolate to all in attendance.
Registration starts at 9 a.m. in Legett Hall. Free ski lessons are available from 10:00 – 11:15 am and the race starts at 11:30 am. The family orienteering scavenger hunt is scheduled from 9:00 am – 2:00 pm.
For more information contact Alan Sommerfeld – 970-531-0811
Trending In: Announcements
- Winter Park Resort wakes up to a foot of fresh powder, but still seriously behind 10-year average
- Police search and seize black market marijuana operation in Granby
- Arrest made in Basalt bottle case after cops stake out dumping ground
- Prior child sexual assault conviction becomes issue for Kremmling trustee candidate
- Federal, state, local authorities work together to avoid catastrophe at Green Mountain Reservoir