Youth Marijuana Prevention Leadership Symposium
May 6, 2016
On Friday April 22, 14 middle school students from across Grand County participated in a Youth Marijuana Prevention Leadership Symposium at Snow Mountain Ranch YMCA. This media focused event was a follow-up to an event held last December where these same students heard experts speak about the potential effects of underage marijuana use. Over the last four months the students took information gained in the one-day symposium back to their respective schools where, as peer educators, they shared the information both informally and thorough presentations. The recent event focused on developing a youth-lead prevention campaign that will be used in the schools.
"The intent of this program is to create a peer-mentoring structure that will serve to educate Grand County youth about this often confusing topic," said Julie Hines of Grand County Public Health.
The event was organized through Grand County Public Health in collaboration with Grand Futures Prevention Coalition, east & west Grand County school health teams, Fraser Valley Recreation and Wildride TV.
Trending In: Announcements
- Suspected pipe bombs found during traffic stop near Grand Lake
- (CORRECTED) Registered sex offender running for office in Kremmling
- Riverside Spirits to relocate to downtown Winter Park leaving resort with fewer off-sale liquor options
- POLICE: Recent debit card fraud in Fraser Valley originated locally
- New visitor’s center, artisan retail store to occupy former Granby Mini Mart