BLM fourth entity to reduce fire restrictions in Grand County
In conjunction with Grand County, the Bureau of Land Management lands has lowered fire restrictions to stage one for all BLM lands in Grand County.
“Fire danger remains high in Grand County, and people need to continue to be extremely cautious,” said Acting Kremmling Field Manager Shane Dittlinger. “Recent rains have helped moderate the danger slightly, but danger is still high enough to warrant stage 1 fire restrictions.”
The BLM will enforce the following temporary restrictions in Grand County:
• Campfires are only allowed within designated fire grates in developed campgrounds (i.e., a metal, in-ground containment structure — fire pans and rock campfire rings are not acceptable).
• No fires of any type, including charcoal, outside of developed areas.
• No smoking except within an enclosed vehicle or building, a developed recreation site or in a barren area free of vegetation.
• No use of explosive materials, including explosive targets.
• No welding or operation of an acetylene or other similar torch with open flame.
• No operation of any internal combustion engine without a spark arresting device properly installed and in working order.
Fireworks are always prohibited on BLM, National Forest and National Park Service lands.
Fire restrictions will be in place until further notice. Those found responsible for starting wildfires will also face restitution costs of suppressing the fire.
In areas where campfires are permitted, people should have a shovel and water on hand to extinguish them completely. Additionally, people should take precautions such as avoiding parking in tall dry grass, or driving OHVs in areas where dry grass can be ignited by hot exhaust. It only takes one spark to start a wildfire – equipment should have working spark arresters and trailers should be inspected to ensure chains are not dragging.
All BLM lands in Eagle and Summit counties remain under stage two restrictions.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.