Crews extinguish chimney fire Thursday at Devil’s Thumb Ranch | SkyHiNews.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Crews extinguish chimney fire Thursday at Devil’s Thumb Ranch

East Grand Fire and Grand Fire crews work to extinguish a chimney fire Thursday evening at Heck’s Tavern, part of Devil’s Thumb Ranch. The aspect of the hexagonal roof made for a more challenging response.
Capt. Wingate/Grand County EMS

East Grand Fire and Grand Fire worked together to quickly put out a chimney fire Thursday at Devil’s Thumb Ranch.

East Grand Capt. Jed Henry explained that around 5 p.m. Thursday, someone outside the building spotted flames on the chimney at Heck’s Tavern. East Grand Fire and Grand Fire responded immediately.

Henry noted that the aspect of the hexagonal roof made access challenging. With the help of Grand Fire, four engines, and a lot of hose, crews were able to get the water down the chimney and extinguish the fire.



Crews put tarps around the hearth inside to catch the incoming water. Henry said damage was minimal and kept to the roof and chimney, not reaching the structure of the building.

“They were back in business in just under two hours,” he said.



Henry said that because ashes and flames were coming out of the chimney during the fire, the staff at Devil’s Thumb assisted with walking the grounds in the area to make sure nothing else had caught on fire.

Fire crews lay out a tarp to catch the water used to extinguish a chimney fire on Thursday at Devil’s Thumb Ranch.
Capt. Jed Henry/East Grand Fire

Henry said he thinks the fire was caused by the build-up of creosote — a type of soot that can accumulate in wood-burning fireplaces and is extremely flammable. He said the event is a good reminder for everyone to get their chimneys cleaned, especially if they use that chimney a lot.

Henry added that Grand Fire assisted with this response while simultaneously responding to a vehicle accident. Grand County Emergency Medical Services was also on scene.

With daylight savings happening Sunday, Henry also wanted to note that now is a great time for the public to check the batteries of their fire and carbon monoxide alarms.

Despite the difficulties of getting water to the chimney atop the hexagonal roof at Devil’s Thumb Ranch, crews from East Grand Fire and Grand Fire were able to quickly extinguish the chimney fire with minimal damage.
Lt. Banning Starr/East Grand Fire

 


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

The Sky-Hi News strives to deliver powerful stories that spark emotion and focus on the place we live.

Over the past year, contributions from readers like you helped to fund some of our most important reporting, including coverage of the East Troublesome Fire.

If you value local journalism, consider making a contribution to our newsroom in support of the work we do.

 

News

Pet of the week

The Grand County Animal Shelter has several semi-feral cats needing new homes. These cats are great mousers and would love to help out with rodent issues. Call the shelter at 970-887-2988 if you are interested…



See more