Crews suffocate abandoned campfire near Winter Park condos
An unattended campfire endangered some condominiums in Winter Park on Wednesday, but crews were able to contain the blaze.
East Grand Fire Protection District responded to the fire burning in between the Snowblaze and Beaver Village Condominiums outside Winter Park around 10 a.m. Wednesday, according to an East Grand Fire news release.
The fire was about a quarter acre in size and burning in downed timber. The flames scorched the surrounding trees up to 30 feet high, but crews had the fire fully contained at around 1 p.m.
East Grand Fire plans to monitor the area over the next few days to ensure it is entirely out, and the Grand County Sheriff’s Office is trying to find out who started the fire and then abandoned it.
Both the fire district and the sheriff’s office are urging people to fully extinguish their outdoor fires and be cautious of the dry and windy conditions. The fire department also suggests dousing fires with water and covering them with dirt before leaving the area.
The sheriff’s office, the Grand Fire Protection District and the Lone Peak Hotshot crew assisted on the scene.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.