Cordova works out details of 18-month jail sentence |

Cordova works out details of 18-month jail sentence

Anthony Cordova was back in Grand County District Court Monday afternoon, Nov. 28, working out details pertaining to his work release program while he completes an 18-month jail sentence.

Earlier this year in April Cordova pleaded guilty to one charge of third-degree assault, defined under Colorado statutes as knowingly or recklessly causing bodily injury to another person. As part of his plea agreement two additional charges, one count of second-degree assault and one count of a crime of violence, were dismissed.

Cordova has been working his way through the Grand County court system since he was taken into custody on Feb. 12, 2016 by the Middle Park Emergency Response Team (MPERT), which functions in a role more commonly associated with the term SWAT Team. The charge to which Cordova pleaded guilty stemmed from an incident that happened on May 29, 2015.

This paper did not report on the initial incident in May 2015 for which Cordova was charged, which local law enforcement officials refereed to as a “stabbing incident”. Instead Cordova’s legal troubles gained prominence in Grand County in Feb. 2016 because of the manner in which he was taken into custody.

On Feb. 11, 2016 a deputy from the Grand County Sheriff’s Office attempted to arrest Cordova on a warrant related to his May 2015 assault charges. At that time Cordova fled from authorities. The next day, on Fri. Feb. 12, an officer from the Kremmling Police Department spotted Cordova as he entered a trailer house in the town of Kremmling.

Local authorities converged on the trailer house and quickly closed off the area. Cordova had a prior history with law enforcement, prompting concerns. Additionally initial reports indicated Cordova might have had access to a firearm inside the trailer house. Those factors taken together were considered cause for caution and the MPERT was called to the scene.

The potentially dangerous scenario ended quickly and peacefully though shortly after it began with Cordova surrendering to authorities without additional incident. After closing off the area surrounding the trailer house the MPERT moved in to apprehend Cordova. Cordova was hiding in a series of cabinets inside the trailer house but came out of his hiding spot when authorities called out to him.

When Cordova entered his guilty plea in April he pleaded guilty only to charges related to the May 2015 assault incident. He was not charged in relation to the Feb. 2016 incident involving the MPERT that preceded his apprehension.

Under the terms of the plea agreement, signed by Cordova on April 19 of this year, Cordova must pay $258.50 in fines and costs. Additionally Cordova was sentenced to an 18-month jail sentence with credit for 63 days already served at the time of his sentencing. While Cordova is serving his 18-month sentence relating to the May 2015 assault charge he is also concurrently serving time for a series of charges stemming from an unrelated 2013 case.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.