Domestic violence incident Christmas night ends with one in custody |

Domestic violence incident Christmas night ends with one in custody

Josh Butler
Courtesy photo |

Christmas night wasn’t very merry for some folks in Fraser this year.

On Sunday night Dec. 25 officers from the Fraser/Winter Park Police Dept. (F/WPPD) and Deputies from the Grand County Sheriff’s Office responded to a domestic violence incident in the 100 block of East Eisenhower in Fraser at roughly 9:29 p.m.

Authorities were initially called to the scene on reports of an intoxicated male subject having discharged a firearm inside a local home. The caller who reported the incident informed authorities the subject no longer had the firearm but was in a room with other firearms.

When authorities arrived on the scene they encountered several individuals who had recently exited the residence. Those individuals informed officials the subject was still inside the home and still had access to firearms.

Cursory observations of the interior of the residence revealed the suspect was in the home’s living room area. Officers entered the home and directed the subject to lie down on the ground. According to a press release from the F/WPPD the suspect then, “took an aggressive stance towards the officers and challenged them to a fight. He then began to retreat towards the room where the firearms were stored, despite repeated orders to get down on the ground.”

The two officers on scene then deployed Taser devices on the suspect. The Tasers struck the subject and caused him to fall to the ground. The suspect, Josh Butler, 31 of Fraser, was then handcuffed and taken into custody.

The press release from the F/WPPD goes on to state, “An investigation into this incident reveled that while inside the home, Butler had assaulted both his roommate and a female party inside the home. A handgun and two shotguns were retrieved from Butler’s bedroom, but it is believed he did not ever discharge those weapons.”

After being cleared by medical staff on Christmas night Butler was transported to the Grand County Jail and was charged with violation of a protection order, two counts of harassment and two counts third degree assault. Information taken from the Grand County Dispatch call log indicates officers left the scene shortly before 10 p.m. Sunday night.

The charges against Butler are merely accusations and all suspects are presumed innocent until proven guilty.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

The Sky-Hi News strives to deliver powerful stories that spark emotion and focus on the place we live.

Over the past year, contributions from readers like you helped to fund some of our most important reporting, including coverage of the East Troublesome Fire.

If you value local journalism, consider making a contribution to our newsroom in support of the work we do.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User