Darlene Carter: Carbon Monoxide is Serious Business | SkyHiNews.com

Darlene Carter: Carbon Monoxide is Serious Business

To the Editor:

I have had my home in Tabernash since 1992, and moved to the valley full time in September 2009. Shortly after moving back in, I installed carbon monoxide detectors, to supplement my smoke detectors. I read the story about the Aspen family who died unknowingly of CO inhalation. Just over a week ago my alarm went off, and after investigation it was found that there were leaks around the seals of joints from an exhaust pipe coming out of my boiler, which heats the infloor heating pipes and hot water.

Luckily it was a gradual build-up, but looking back I thought of the splitting headaches I have had in the middle of the night, and my visiting family complaining of dizziness, “high altitude” like symptoms, tiredness and the like. I want to encourage all of you to have those detectors installed. With our heat on full blast much of the winter, we are all susceptible to this preventable gas poisoning, and prevention should be taken seriously.

Darlene Carter


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

The Sky-Hi News strives to deliver powerful stories that spark emotion and focus on the place we live.

Over the past year, contributions from readers like you helped to fund some of our most important reporting, including coverage of the East Troublesome Fire.

If you value local journalism, consider making a contribution to our newsroom in support of the work we do.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User