Early morning home explosion results in death of 67-year-old Grand Lake woman
An early morning explosion Sunday inside a home near Grand Lake claimed the life of a local woman and resulted in serious injuries to another resident.
Authorities identified the woman who died in the explosion as Susan Ann McLean, 67, of Grand Lake.
At around 12:30 a.m., an explosion occurred inside McLean’s home, located on Mad Moose Lane, west of Grand Lake just off Golf Course Road, according to the Grand County Sheriff’s Office.
The explosion also resulted in serious injuries to the home’s other occupant, 63-year-old Mark McLean, who was transported to the burn treatment center at Swedish Medical in Englewood where he remains in serious to stable condition. Authorities said they do not believe his injuries to be life threatening.
Authorities said the man made it to a neighbor’s home shortly after the explosion occurred, but had no recollection of how he had gotten outside.
Lt. Dan Mayer, spokesperson for the sheriff’s office, said that a dog was also believed to be in the residence at the time of the explosion. It is believed to have died in the explosion.
Officials from the sheriff’s office said an investigation into the incident is ongoing and that no determination had yet been made regarding the explosion’s cause. Authorities from the Colorado Bureau of Investigation were en route to Grand County Sunday morning to assist with the investigation.
Mayer said investigators believe the fire that claimed the home was initiated by an explosion. According to Mayer, debris that was not burnt was found as far as 150 to 200 feet away from the home.
Fire crews were still busy spraying water and cooling hotspots inside the gutted interior of the residence late Sunday morning.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
The Sky-Hi News strives to deliver powerful stories that spark emotion and focus on the place we live.
Over the past year, contributions from readers like you helped to fund some of our most important reporting, including coverage of the East Troublesome Fire.
If you value local journalism, consider making a contribution to our newsroom in support of the work we do.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
Grand County officials are not releasing further information about a second county resident to die due to COVID-19 other than to confirm the death was a result of complications from COVID-19.