Fire in Old Town, extinguished quickly
The East Grand Fire District responded to a fire at a home at 64 Balsam Drive in Old Town Winter Park just before 6 p.m. on Tuesday, October 11. The East Grand Fire District received a call of smoke coming from the upper floor eves and windows next to the reporting party’s home, according to East Grand Fire Chief Todd Holzwarth. No one was at the home when the fire department responded. Firefighters forced entry into the home and found a fire on the second floor in the kitchen that had damaged the countertop, dishwasher, and cabinets with water leaking from damaged pipes. There was also heat and smoke damage to the second and third floors and water damage to the first floor, according to Holzwarth. Fire crews checked a unit neighboring the unit on fire and found light smoke, but no extension of the fire.
Holzwarth said the fire was quickly extinguished, and the incident lasted about two hours from start to finish. He said the East Grand Fire District believes a heater under the sink that failed and ignited the cabinets caused the fire. The incident involved 13 East Grand Firefighters, a police officer from the Fraser/Winter Park Police Department, and two members from Grand County EMS.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.