Fire levels house south of Grand Lake |

Fire levels house south of Grand Lake

Photos by Rob McClure / Special to the Sky-Hi News
Staff Photo |

It was a busy weekend for Grand County first responders. Along with the deaths of two teenagers over the weekend a structure fire on Sunday consumed a home on County Road 6410 near Cutthroat Trout Bay.

Local dispatch first received the call about the structure fire at 3:06 a.m. Sunday morning Aug. 9. A Grand County Sheriff’s Deputy was in the vicinity when the call came in and was able to see flames from the fire as he was passing Stillwater Campground. Other first responders were on the scene by 3:20 a.m. and were able to get the blaze under control by 4 a.m. The structure was lost in the flames and is not recoverable.

Officials from the Grand County Sheriff’s Office confirmed they have been through the structure and found no evidence of arson. The home was unoccupied at the time of the fire and is owned by Denver residents engaging in an ongoing construction and renovation process.

While no exact cause of the fire has been determined yet, authorities have speculated a space heater left on in the home might have caused the blaze. Officials want to remind local homeowners and other residents that space heaters can be potential fire hazards.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

The Sky-Hi News strives to deliver powerful stories that spark emotion and focus on the place we live.

Over the past year, contributions from readers like you helped to fund some of our most important reporting, including coverage of the East Troublesome Fire.

If you value local journalism, consider making a contribution to our newsroom in support of the work we do.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User