Firefighters contain blaze in Innsbruck
Firefighters from Grand County were busy early Thursday morning, New Year’s Eve, when a structure fire broke out in a home in the Innsbruck development on the southern end of Granby near Granby Ranch.
According to Grand Fire Protection District Chief Ron Thompson the area of origin for the fire was around a gas fireplace in the recreation room of the home. The fire began on the lower level of the residence.
“The residence was occupied by three people at the time,” Chief Thompson said. “They were alerted by the smoke alarm.”
The occupants of the residence identified smoke coming from the basement and saw what appeared to be flames showing through the wall behind the fireplace box, he said.
Despite the early hour at which the fire started local fire crews responded quickly and halted the conflagration.
“From a fire service standpoint we call this a good save,” Thompson said. “To give an estimate, the amount of damage was less than 25 percent of the whole structure.” Firefighters were able to contain the flames within the building as well. “The fire was contained to the area around and above the area of origin,” Thompson said.
The Grand Fire Protection District responded to the scene and called for mutual aid. Engines from the East Grand Fire Protection District and the Hot Sulphur Springs/Parshall Fire Protection District responded.
“The three departments worked well together,” Thompson said. “Our initial attack actually contained the fire and the other departments came in with support, doing overhaul and other support activities.”
Grand firefighters were finishing up after-action debriefings Thursday morning. The fire was wrapped up and local fire crews were back in service by about 8:30 a.m. Along with the three fire departments that responded to the scene Grand County EMS also responded providing shelter to the residents of the burned home as fire crews worked to contain the flames.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
The Sky-Hi News strives to deliver powerful stories that spark emotion and focus on the place we live.
Over the past year, contributions from readers like you helped to fund some of our most important reporting, including coverage of the East Troublesome Fire.
If you value local journalism, consider making a contribution to our newsroom in support of the work we do.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
On May 4, the House Health State, Civic, Military and Veterans Affairs Committee passed two bills to build a safer Colorado. Bill SB22-206 would create the Office of Climate Preparedness and two new programs to…