Granby house fire prompts response
A structure fire Thursday morning August 4 in Granby caused moderate damage to the exterior of one home in the Moraine Park subdivision.
The fire began early Thursday morning with fire fighting personnel from the Grand Fire Protection District in Granby receiving the call for response at 7:07 a.m. The fire itself was caused by the inappropriate disposal of smoking materials and was ignited on the building’s front exterior. The placement of the fire meant the blaze was not immediately visible to the home’s occupants.
Grand Fire Protection District Chief Ron Thompson explained a local citizen, who was passing by the house as the fire started, saw the flames and alerted the home’s occupants. At the time four children and an adult female were inside the house. All occupants of the home safely escaped without injury. Another citizen who was passing by the home and witnessed the events early Thursday morning placed the emergency call to first responders.
When local firefighters arrived on the scene they discovered an officer from the Granby Police Dept. and a passing motorist actively engaged in suppressing the flames using a fire extinguisher and a water hose. “They did a good job,” Chief Thompson said. “I want to give them credit as well.”
The suppression operation was just wrapping up shortly after 8 a.m. Thursday morning as firefighters completed overhaul operations, checking nooks and crannies within the structure for “hot spots” that could potentially lead to a reignition.
“We had to make sure the fire had no extension into the attic space,” explained Chief Thompson. “There was no way to get into the attic so we had to take off some siding… We did find fire embers in that space. Had we not done that (removed siding) we would not have found it. It gave us the ability to extinguish all of it.”
Fire departments like Grand Fire utilize thermal imaging devices to determine if hot spots or fire extension points exist within a building after a structure fire. Chief Thompson noted the thermal imaging devices used Thursday morning showed, “a significant amount of heat” in the attic of the home before firefighters completed overhaul operations.
A significant portion of the building’s front exterior was completely lost though the damage appeared to have primarily impacted the home’s façade. Chief Thompson said people were preparing to replace siding on the home as fire personnel were leaving the scene.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Grand County make the Sky-Hi News' work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User