Granby " Let your voices be heard on East Grand School policies |

Granby " Let your voices be heard on East Grand School policies

In August, we applauded the East Grand School District for taking a second look at the “three strikes” policy in the Middle Park High School athletic/extracurricular activity handbook.

We would like to applaud them again, for not only examining this policy and others, but for turning to the residents of Grand County for guidance as they move forward.

The East Grand School District has posted a multiple-part online survey on its Web site requesting input about everything from the dates of spring break to the appropriate discipline for students caught drinking or carrying weapons.

One of the questions that caught our eye was an exploration of the idea of random drug and alcohol testing for students who leave campus for lunch.

We posted the question on our Web site.

The reactions were pretty evenly divided.

Half (55.42 percent) said, “Random drug and alcohol testing is a violation of student’s privacy/civil liberties.” The other half (44.58 percent) said, “This is an ideal way to curb drug and alcohol use among high school students.”

We assumed the reaction would lean more one way or another. If that question is any indication of opinion out there, it will be interesting to see community answers to other hot topics.

The loudest voices don’t always represent the majority.

The school district is calling for anyone to respond to this survey ” you don’t have to be a parent.

In fact, everyone should respond to this survey because we are all affected in ways by the decisions made in our local schools, whether we are parents or not.

We are taxpayers who support the schools.

We are employers who hire the product of these schools.

Some of the questions are simply multiple choice, but with most there is room for extra commentary.

Your opinion is wanted regarding dates of vacations, length of school days, discipline policies and dress code.

Overall, the survey takes less than five minutes to fill out.

Next time you’re procrastinating on the Internet, take an extra moment to visit and offer your input to the school district to ensure they are making the most informed decisions possible.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

The Sky-Hi News strives to deliver powerful stories that spark emotion and focus on the place we live.

Over the past year, contributions from readers like you helped to fund some of our most important reporting, including coverage of the East Troublesome Fire.

If you value local journalism, consider making a contribution to our newsroom in support of the work we do.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User