Granby Library announces writing contest
To celebrate National Library Week (April 13-19) the Granby Library is conducting a writing contest for fun and prizes.
The library staff presents an open-ended prompt:
“Recall a time when reading made a difference in your life. Often we develop ideas about topics or situations that have not directly touched our lives. Write about a book you read that helped changed your views and why.”
First prize is a Winter Park Resort Season Pass for the 2008- 2009 season.; 2nd prize is a 2008/2009 Nordic Center Season Pass at the Snow Mountain Ranch-YMCA of the Rockies; 3rd prize a foursome at the Headwater Golf Course at the Granby Ranch for 2008; the winner and two runners-up will receive a free subscription to Rough-Writers INK Magazine.
In turn, you’ll submit a (short story or essay) of 700 words or fewer based on the prompt. You can be dramatic, funny, poignant, witty, etc. ” whatever you like.
Winners will be announced on April 21, and the three winning entries will be published in the Ski-Hi Daily News.
– Essays/stories will be judged on creativity, inventiveness, and ” where appropriate ” humor or dramatic effect.
– One entry per person. Must be Grand County resident ages 17 and up.
– Only e-mail entries are accepted. Please attach a Microsoft Word document, double-spaced. Mac users may paste text directly into an e-mail.
– The Grand County Library District retains first-time rights to run the winner (and finalists) in the Ski-Hi Daily News and/or Web site, after which all rights return to the author.
– A panel of judges will select the top three entries.
– Entries will be read with names omitted to ensure fair judging.
Deadline for the contest is April 12. Each entry should contain:
Your E-mail Address:
Your Daytime Phone Number:
Your Story Entry (700 words or fewer):
E-mail to: email@example.com with “NATIONAL LIBRARY WEEK WRITING CONTEST” in the subject line.
Questions? Please contact Stephanie Ralph at the Granby Library (970) 887-2149 or see our Web site at gcld.org.
The Granby Library wishes to thank our competition sponsors for their generous support:
Winter Park Resort; Snow Mountain Ranch YMCA of the Rockies; Granby Ranch; Rough-Writers INK Magazine.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
The Sky-Hi News strives to deliver powerful stories that spark emotion and focus on the place we live.
Over the past year, contributions from readers like you helped to fund some of our most important reporting, including coverage of the East Troublesome Fire.
If you value local journalism, consider making a contribution to our newsroom in support of the work we do.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
Grand Lake officials will discuss next week a plan to halt new construction in downtown Grand Lake.