Granby man greets police with loaded assault rifle |

Granby man greets police with loaded assault rifle

Staff report
Sky-Hi Daily News
Grand County, Colo.

A 26-year old man who threatened police with an assault rifle and had an arsenal of weaponry in his Granby home was arrested on Oct. 2.

Jared Gorman carried an AR 15 assault rifle when he opened the door of his downtown Granby home after Granby Police Officer Dan Zacek Smith and two deputies arrived, according to Granby Police Chief Bill Housley.

Zacek Smith had contacted Gorman by phone prior to a visit to his home regarding an arrest warrant on a menacing charge. According to the police report relayed by Housley, Gorman swore and yelled during the phone call, saying he was “just a pawn in the government’s game.”

“They knew the guy was not sounding stable,” Housley said.

The Granby officer accompanied by back-up then visited Gorman’s residence.

It was about 2:45 p.m. when Zacek Smith went to the front door and heard steps inside, then heard the distinct sound of a gun being loaded, police said.

Upon hearing the metallic sound of a gun being loaded, police retreated from the door and took cover. When the door was opened, Zacek Smith could see the individual inside the home with the loaded assault rifle pointed downward and rested on his shoulder. Police reported he was intoxicated.

Police had already consulted with the suspect’s parents, who had suggested their son had not been “behaving rationally” and was “suffering emotionally,” Housley said. The suspects parents went to the home with police that afternoon.

Police and the suspect’s parents briefly talked Gorman down, and according to the report, he then walked farther into the house and later came back to the door without the weapon.

Gorman was arrested on warrant and booked in the county jail for assault, first degree assault on a police officer, menacing, resisting arrest, obstructing police and prohibited use of a weapon; it is illegal to handle a gun while intoxicated.

At the time he was arrested, he was “threatening to shoot officers in the head and threatened to come back later and kill them and their families,” Housley said.

Gorman also reportedly told police, “I am a prophet, and the end is coming.”

After the incident, police found that besides the AR15 assault rifle with a round in the chamber, Gorman also had a 12-gauge shotgun with two high-capacity magazines, a Ruger .45 caliber handgun with two extended magazines, a .308 caliber rifle, a 9 mm handgun and a tactical-style vest worn by police and military personnel designed to carry extra ammunition.

One of the handguns was attached to the vest, which held several extra magazines for the assault rifle, according to the report.

All the guns were legally in Gorman’s name, Housley said.

Whether the suspect was plotting some sort of larger assault is still under investigation, he said. “This is something that could have gone very bad.”

Police seized some of the weapons and others have been secured by family members, the chief said.

Gorman’s ability to get the weapons back will depend on “cooperation with the family, the courts and the whole process,” Housley said. “The family is very interested in getting him help. He’s even been able to articulate that he needs help.”

Yet, Housley added, “Some of the threats that were made obviously are not comforting.”