Grand County Commissioners meeting from May 17
Special to the Sky-Hi News
The Grand County Commissioners focused on communication issues, both in and out of government, at their meeting May 17.
The commissioners asked several times for more information on several topics and to have their ‘what-happened’ list updated on a regular basis so that the county staff, the public and they themselves know where things stand on ongoing issues.
Commissioner Kristen Manguso said updating the list, “would be a clear record of what we’re expecting everyone to do.”
The commissioners also decided to take it one step further and add timelines.
The public comments section of the meeting featured Tom Sifers, General Manager of Mountain Parks Electric who presented the commissioners with a check for $5,737.55. The check was a return of investment from revenues collected in 1982, 1983, 1989 and 1993. After Sifers presented the check, the commissioners promptly voted to donate the money to Mountain Family Center to purchase Christmas presents for needy families.
Internet service provider update
Local internet providers were invited to present an update on services in the county. The sole presenter, Eden Recor, owner of Grand County Internet Services, emphasized that much of Grand County either doesn’t have service available or is underserved.
“If you can’t stream a movie, you’re underserved,” Recor said.
To improve service, Recor suggested the county, and its communication providers, need to:
• Upgrade the backbone for higher speed and reliability;
• Upgrade the broadband broadcast;
• Upgrade customer equipment for higher speeds, better reliability and better diagnostics;
• Incorporate new technologies that would “blow through trees and non-sightline areas,” and
• Repeat the process every three to five years.
approval of resolutions
After the communication presentation, the commissioners voted to finalize their approval on several resolutions. Those resolutions included:
• Resolution No. 2016-5-7: A resolution by the Board of County Commissioners of The County of Grand, State of Colorado, approving the waiver of the use fee for the use of the CSU Extension Hall by the Kremmling area Chamber of Commerce and Kremmling Rotary Club.
• Resolution No. 2016-5-8: approving the waiver of the use fee for the use of the CSU Extension Hall by the Society for Range Management.
• Resolution No. 2016-5-9: authorizing the chairman of the Board of County Commissioners of The County of Grand, State of Colorado to execute a second amendment to the services contract between Tetra Tech, Inc., and the Board of County Commissioners of The County of Grand, State of Colorado Phase 1 of the Windy Gap Reservoir Modification Project.
• Resolution No. 2016-5-10: a resolution approving and authorizing the Chairman of the Board of County Commissioners of the County of Grand, State of Colorado to execute a services contract between Bowman Colorado Group LLC and the Board of County Commissioners of the County of Grand, state of Colorado for professional civil engineering services on an as-needed and as-requested basis.
• Resolution No. 2016-5-11: a resolution approving and authorizing the Board of County Commissioners of the county of Grand, state of Colorado to execute a proclamation declaring the week of May 15-21, 2016 as “Emergency Medical Services Week.”
• Resolution No. 2016HA-5-12: a resolution by the Board of County Commissioners of The County of Grand, State of Colorado, acting in the capacity as The Grand County Housing Authority, approving a loan from the Grand County Housing Authority down payment assistance program, and authorizing the chairman to execute the wire transfer request.
• Resolution No. 2016-5-13: a resolution approving and authorizing the Chairman of the Board of County Commissioners of The County of Grand, State of Colorado to execute nine childcare health consulting contracts by and between various service providers and the Board of County Commissioners.
• Resolution No, 2016-5-14: a resolution approving and authorizing the Chairman of the Board of County Commissioners of The County of Grand, State of Colorado to execute a track agreement between Wheeler’s Trucking and Custom Grading Services Inc., and the Board of County Commissioners of The County of Grand, State of Colorado for the sublease of railroad track.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
The Sky-Hi News strives to deliver powerful stories that spark emotion and focus on the place we live.
Over the past year, contributions from readers like you helped to fund some of our most important reporting, including coverage of the East Troublesome Fire.
If you value local journalism, consider making a contribution to our newsroom in support of the work we do.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
Colorado’s new, eighth congressional district would include the cities of Arvada, Westminster, Broomfield, Thornton, Brighton and Platteville, a preliminary map drawn by nonpartisan redistricting staff and presented to the state’s Independent Congressional Redistricting Commission on…