Grand Lake firefighters douse unattended construction fire
Sky-Hi Daily News
A construction company may be cited for an illegal fire on Jerico Road on Sunday.
Grand Lake Fire was called to a barrel burn along Shadow Mountain, one that Fire Chief Mike Long said in another 15 to 20 minutes could have spread farther to a house under construction and beyond.
A concerned neighbor noticed flames around 1:45 p.m.
The barrel was unattended, according to Long, and flames escaped the 55-gallon drum into a nearby construction-debris pile.
The barrel burn was illegal because it contained hazardous materials, such as plastics releasing fumes, Long said.
He learned a neighbor previously had experienced respiratory issues from inhaling the smoke, he said.
Upon assessment of the fire, the chief said he intends to issue the department’s first citation.
Campfires and barrel burns don’t require a permit, but the law stipulates that they must remain attended until they’re out cold.
The burning of hazardous materials, such as treated wood and plastic materials, is prohibited due to the toxic vapors they produce.
” Tonya Bina can be reached at 887-3334 ext. 19603 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.