Gun-wielding man arrested after overnight Carbondale stand-off |

Gun-wielding man arrested after overnight Carbondale stand-off

CARBONDALE – Carbondale Police arrested a 42-year-old man early Monday morning on felony menacing and burglary charges after he holed-up in a Carbondale residence by himself overnight after allegedly breaking into the house and threatening the occupants with a gun.

James Patrick Hageland remained in the Garfield County Jail Monday afternoon on $17,250 bond. He is facing felony charges of first-degree burglary, trespassing and menacing, as well as several misdemeanor charges.

According to police reports, officers were called to the residence, located in the Cleveland Place subdivision on Eighth Street, shortly after 10 p.m. Sunday on a report of a disturbance.

Hageland allegedly had entered the house brandishing a handgun and pointed it at several people sitting in the living room watching television and threatened to kill them.

One of the occupants was a woman with whom Hageland had been in a relationship, according to Carbondale Police Chief Gene Schilling. Hageland had also previously been arrested for domestic violence, he said.

During the Sunday incident, Hageland allegedly said he had been planning for some time to kill her and then himself. After allowing several occupants to leave the house, Hageland allegedly held the gun to the woman’s head before police arrived. The woman was able to escape and run out the back door and to a neighbor’s house, according to reports.

Hageland reportedly ran upstairs where there were two other occupants. They also were eventually allowed to leave unharmed, but Hageland remained holed up in the house.

Schilling said he requested assistance from Garfield County All Hazards Response Team, which was tied up with a similar incident in New Castle at the time. Backup was also sent from the Glenwood Springs Police Department and Eagle County before a negotiator could be sent from Garfield County, he said.

After several hours of negotiating, Schilling said Hageland finally surrendered around 5:30 a.m. Monday and was arrested without further incident. At no point during the incident did the suspect point the gun at the police officers involved, Schilling said.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

The Sky-Hi News strives to deliver powerful stories that spark emotion and focus on the place we live.

Over the past year, contributions from readers like you helped to fund some of our most important reporting, including coverage of the East Troublesome Fire.

If you value local journalism, consider making a contribution to our newsroom in support of the work we do.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User