Happenings in East Grand School District
East Grand School District Superintendent
• Fraser Valley After School Tutoring Club will start meeting on Mondays and Thursdays 3:30 to 4:30. This is a partnership between the school and Winter Park.
• Congratulations to Nathan Chua for finishing in 1st place at the District Spelling Bee. 2nd place: Jaden Bonnett, 3rd Place: Andy Troccoli. Congratulations to all of the participants for making it to the District Spelling Bee. GES: Jackson Salyards, Jaden Bonnett, Elly Kaplanis. FVE: Jack Feltz, Dylan Martinski, Nathan Chua. EGMS: Andy Troccoli, Paddy Aither, Ryley Hofsetz .
• Last Friday, the Middle Park High School Knowledge Bowl Team finished in second place out of 12 teams at the Northwestern Regional Knowledge Bowl Tournament held at Steamboat Springs High School. The MPHS Knowledge Bowl squad this year includes Seniors Gigi Newcomer-Neeson, Abigail Turner, and Lilly Shatford-Adams, along with Junior Neva Meindl and Sophomores Lela Myers, Henry Kacik, Kayla Davis, and Dylan Cormican. Rounding out the squad are freshman Krista Conrad and Paige Entrician. The varsity team scored 82 points at the meet and thus qualified for the State Knowledge Bowl Tournament, which will be held at Colorado State University in Fort Collins in mid-March.
• Congratulations to Kristen McGuan, director of our East Grand Food Service Department, for securing two new salad bars at Fraser Valley Elementary and Granby Elementary. Kristen, an advocate for healthy nutrition and now can insure that every student has the opportunity to have access to a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables each day. Students and staff applaud Kristen and District Health Advisory Council for making this happen – Salad Bars at each of our Schools… “Healthy Schools, Successful Students!” Thank you Kristen!
• MPHS Jazz Band, also known as Possible Bueno, will be competing in the Mile High Jazz Festival this Friday at CU Boulder. They perform at 3 pm at Mackey Hall.
• MPHS Nordic Team has qualified 14 skiers to State at Ski Cooper on 2/22 – 2/23. MPHS Alpine Team has qualified 5 skiers for State at the same site. Wrestling qualified three Wrestling at Regionals for State this weekend in Denver. The wrestlers are Blake Weimer, Tell Linke and Dylan Kloss. Congratulations to all our Teams and to our State Qualified Athletes. Girls’ Basketball Regional Play will be Saturday, 2/17. Time: TBD. Good Luck Panther Girls!
• Eighth graders in social studies are working on campaign posters or commercials for the election of 1800, between the Federalists and the Democratic/ Republicans. They have chosen modern candidates to represent the ideals of those early political parties, and will vote for the best posters and commercials in class this week.
• Numerous students from FVE, GES and EGMS participated in CU Science Day last Friday. Through hands-on activities students learned about programming robots, how the sun heats the earth and design thinking to problem solve. It was a fun day.
• Mr. Joe Kelley, the general manager from Power World Sports, will be visiting the MPHS senior English classes this week to discuss the topic of “Liberal Arts Skills and the Art of Motor Shop Maintenance.” Mr. Kelley will share ways in which liberal arts skills such as reading, writing, communicating, emotional/social intelligence, and critical thinking can enhance customer service and worker satisfaction. He will also share strategies for developing these liberal arts skills, even if one is not college bound. Students will be encouraged to consider ways in which their academic, vocational, and personal growth goals can work together for future success.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
The Sky-Hi News strives to deliver powerful stories that spark emotion and focus on the place we live.
Over the past year, contributions from readers like you helped to fund some of our most important reporting, including coverage of the East Troublesome Fire.
If you value local journalism, consider making a contribution to our newsroom in support of the work we do.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User