Happenings in East Grand School District
January 12, 2018
• Granby Elementary School's second grade is going on a field trip to RMNP. They will be winter detectives as they snow shoe in the park! It can be a bit of a mystery how all of the plants and animals in Rocky Mountain National Park survive through the cold and snow of winter, but if you can think like an animal and find the clues that they leave, you may solve some of winter's mysteries.
• The Fraser Valley Elementary Art for a Cause fundraiser led Mazie B. Gibberson, a fourth grade student, and art teacher, Shelly Peeters, raised $826 that will be split evenly between Mountain Family Center and Grand County Pet Pals. Thanks for all the support!
• If you are at Winter Park Resort take time to check out the sign they made welcoming skiers from East Grand School District, "A District of Distinction." Winter Park is a great partner, especially with our competitive ski program.
• Come watch the "Screenagers" Documentary: Are you watching kids scroll through life, with their rapid-fire thumbs and a six-second attention span? Physician and filmmaker Delaney Ruston saw that with her own kids and learned that the average kid spends 6.5 hours a day looking at screens. She wondered about the impact of all this time and about the friction occurring in homes and schools around negotiating screen time—friction she knew all too well. Out of this came the documentary Screenagers. Visit the website http://www.screenagersmovie.com for more information, including a trailer. The EGMS PAC, EGSD Health Committee and Northwest Rocky Mountain CASA are cosponsoring a free showing of Screenagers the evening of Jan. 18 at Middle Park High School and will also include a free dinner prior to the movie. Dinner will be at 6 p.m. and the movie will start promptly at 7 p.m. The movie is not recommended for children under the age of 10. Free child care will be provided. Please RSVP by Tuesday, Jan. 16 by following this link: https://goo.gl/forms/6l3B7sFdnJpvk2Yw1 This will help ensure that we have adequate food and child care.
• The Spring Musical, "School of Rock" had auditions this week; performances run March 2 to March 4.
• Led by the Fraser Valley Elementary school/BOCES professional development liaison, Lindsay Jarzynka, teachers will be conducting a book study on Jo Boaler's Mathematical Mindset on Wednesdays from 3:45 to 5 p.m. for 10 weeks. Through Jarzynka's persistence and hard work, Colorado Mesa University will be giving credit for the eight Fraser Valley Elementary staff participating.