Happenings in East Grand School District
East Grand Schools Superintendent
• A positive note about how well our elementary “before the year begins” appointments went. Students loved spending some one on one time with their new teacher, seeing their new classroom, checking out which of their friends or classmates were also in their class, and most of all receiving some positive feedback from their new teacher. Connections and positive feedback help create a climate and culture where real learning take space.
• EGMS fall sports continues to see great participation. We have 41 out for cross-country, 33 volleyball players, 23 cheerleaders and 39 football players. Over 35 percent of our population is participating.
• The Grand Crew Program had a successful backpacking trip on the High Lonesome and Continental Divide Trails! They hiked from Meadow Creek Reservoir to Jim Creek, and then had a great day of rock climbing with the NSCD. Students were met with many challenges, spectacular views, and teamwork over their 30-mile journey through Grand County’s backcountry. Thanks to all who helped make it possible.
• Over the summer the MPHS Spanish teachers successfully took 22 of their advanced students to Costa Rica and Nicaragua. In Costa Rica they volunteered at a small rural school and stayed with their families. They hiked in the rain forest, visited volcanos, sat in natural hot springs, ziplined, surfed. In Nicaragua, they brought 9 computers from EGSD and donated them to a school for rural children (thanks to Interact Club who coordinated that effort). Finally, they spoke Spanish from 9-4 throughout the entire experience and gained a true appreciation of the language and culture of those amazing countries! This trip would not have been possible without the generosity of many wonderful Grand County organizations that support kids! The Grand Foundation, Opportunity for Youth, Granby Fire Department, Grand Lake Rotary, Independent Sport Foundation and anyone we may have forgotten…Thank you.
Support Local Journalism
• We would like to thank the Browns for their generous wood tool donation to our industrial arts program.
• Back to school nights were well attended and it was awesome to see the community, parent and student involvement in our kids education.
• Our schools are rated annually by the state of Colorado in comparison to other districts. We are overjoyed to announce that all of our schools have received a rating of “performance” which is the highest rating possible. East Grand School District has also achieved the highest rating possible which is “Accredited with Distinction.” We are extremely proud of our staff, students, parents and community who all work hard to make sure our students succeed. Let’s keep up the great work.
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Grand County make the Sky-Hi News' work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User