In Grand County, Baumgardner beats Korkowski, but districtwide results unavailable
August 13, 2008
Randy Baumgardner outpolled Daniel Korkowski among Grand County voters 626-473 Tuesday in their bid to see who will appear on the November ballot to represent the Republican Party in the race for state representative of House District 57.
Tallies were not available for the rest of the expansive district, which includes most or all of Moffat, Rio Blanco, Garfield, Routt and Jackson counties.
In the other closely watched race Tuesday, former state Senator Joan Fitz-Gerald conceded at about 10:30 p.m. to Jared Polis in the three-way race to succeed U.S. Rep. Mark Udall as representative of the 2nd Congressional District, according to http://www.rockymountainnews.com.
In Grand County, however, Fitz-Gerald beat Polis 307-238.
The third candidate, Will Shafroth, won 109 votes in Grand County, according to preliminary results, and about 18 percent of the districtwide tally, according to http://www.rockymountainnews.com.
In the 2nd District, a traditional Democratic stronghold, it has been widely assumed that the winner of Tuesday’s Democratic primary will win the seat in November.
Reports earlier this week indicated Polis, a Boulder businessman, spent nearly $6.5 million in what has been one of the most expensive congressional races in the nation.
Udall is leaving the seat to run for the U.S. Senate.
All of Tuesday’s primary election races determine which candidates will appear on this November’s general election ballot. While many statewide results were not available by press time Tuesday night, the unofficial Grand County results for the primaries were provided by Grand County Clerk Sara Rosene.
The rest of the vote tallies in Tuesday’s election were for uncontested races in both the Republican and Democratic primaries. The election results for Grand County are:
– U.S. Senator ” Bob Schaffer, 972 votes
– Representative to U.S. Congress District 2 ” Scott Starin, 913 votes
– Regent of the University of Colorado Congressional District 2 ” Jerry Reed, 870 votes
– State Senate District 16 ” Don Ytterberg, 885 votes
– District Attorney 14th Judicial District ” Elizabeth Oldham, 918 votes
– County Commissioner District 2 ” Nancy Stuart, 919 votes
– U.S. Senate ” Mark Udall, 597 votes
– Regent of the University of Colorado Congressional District 2 ” Joe Neguse, 478 votes
– State Senate District 16 ” Dan Gibbs, 513 votes
– State Representative District 57 ” R. Todd Hagenbuch, 490 votes
– District Attorney 14th Judicial District Court ” Tammy L. Stewart, 489 votes
– County Commissioner District 1 ” James Newberry, 543 votes.