John Rice – We need to fire Congress and start over
January 13, 2010
To the Editor:
We need to recognize that we no longer have a Congress that represents our interests and instead is a massive group of elitists that are sucking out of the public trough as much as possible. Consider the following:
• All members (House and Senate) receive more income than 90 percent of Americans.
• They only work approximately 140 days a year.
• They get full retirement even if only serving one term (or partial) and even if in jail.
• They give themselves pay raises and deny raises to others receiving government payments (example: Social Security).
• They constantly waste our tax money to buy their seats – earmarks – which should be considered unconstitutional spending.
• They constantly travel to overseas vacation spots at taxpayer expense, which they call fact-finding. You and I know differently since the Constitution prohibits the House from any international responsibilities and the Senate is only responsible for confirmation of treaties. Therefore, there is absolutely no need to leave the country.
• And last but not least, they have excluded themselves from having to participate in the health plan that is currently under consideration. They are going to ruin us but exempt themselves.
I propose that we taxpayers fire everyone in Congress (it will take six years to replace all of the Senate and we must not stop that progress until done). I am not proposing a party swap, rather replace Democrat for Democrat and Republican for Republican. We put all on notice that they work for us and if they don’t change their behavior we will replace them all again. We also let all new members know that they must:
• Pass a constitutional amendment “Congress shall make no law that applies to the citizens of the United States that does not apply equally to the Senators or Representatives, and Congress shall make no law that applies to the Senators or Representatives that does not apply equally to the citizens of the United States.”
• Pass another constitutional amendment: “All members of Congress can serve no more than 12 years combined total in a lifetime”.
This is just a start. As the “Tea Party” demonstrations showed us this past summer (these were not Republicans), many Americans are disgusted with the elitists in Congress. It is time to make a change.